Huntsinger Farms selected as 2020 Eau Claire County Farm Technology Days Host
Eau Claire, WI (November 14, 2020) – Huntsinger Farms of Eau Claire has been selected to host the 2020 Wisconsin Farm Technology Days (WFTD) in Eau Claire County. The event is scheduled for July 21st – 23rd, 2020.
Huntsinger Farms and its subsidiary Silver Spring Foods, Inc. was founded by Ellis Huntsinger, who is nationally recognized as a pioneer in Horseradish farming, in 1929. Still family-owned by Huntsinger's granddaughter Nancy Bartusch and two great-grandsons, Eric and Ryan Rygg, Huntsinger Farms is now the world's largest grower and processor of horseradish.
They use a five to seven year crop rotation of 1400 acres of corn, 2100 acres of soybeans, and 310 acres of snap beans, to support the production of 700 acres of horseradish. They are vertically integrated with Silver Spring Foods, Inc. and grow and harvest over 7.5 million pounds of horseradish per year. Crews harvest horseradish in the spring and fall after plants have been in the ground about 12-24 months. "Hosting the 2020 Eau Claire County Farm Technology Days is a once in a lifetime honor for Huntsinger Farms and the Huntsinger Family. Farm Technology Days will give us a unique opportunity to share our knowledge and experience farming this specialty crop," said Eric Rygg.
Several members of the local Executive Committee have been selected:
- John Leary, Ruder Ware – Executive Committee Chair
- Bob Panzer, Executive Committee Vice Chair
- Mark Hagedorn, Eau Claire Co. UW-Extension – Executive Secretary
- Tammy Smith-Schroeder, Bears Grass Dairy – Executive Committee Treasurer
- TBD – Host Farm Board Representative(s)
- Dan Jackson, Food Committee
- Jane Mueller, Family Living Committee
- TBD - Grounds Committee
- Kori Richter, Tractor Central – Field Demonstration Committee (co-chair)
- Margie Thornton, Value Implement – Field Demonstration Committee (co-chair)
- Bob Panzer, Signs Committee
- TBD - Tent City Committee
- Adam Wehling, Chippewa Valley Technical College – Education Committee
- Jack Running, Traffic and Emergency Government Committee
- Loren Anderson - Utilities Committee
- Mike Gintner, Compeer Financial - Parking Committee
- Jarec Dorschner, Compeer Financial – Publicity and Promotions Committee
- TBD – Funds Development/Hospitality Committee
- Rebecca Reinhardt, CCF Bank – Admissions Committee
- Connie Odegard – Heritage Equipment Committee
- Matt Glewen – General Manager Wisconsin Farm Technology Days, Inc.
Please be watching this website for further developments for the 2020 show.
UW-Extension Eau Claire County
227 1st Street West
Altoona, WI 54720