General Manager - Wisconsin Farm Technology Days
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to become the next General Manager (GM) of Wisconsin Farm Technology Days (WFTD). This annual WFTD show has grown into Wisconsin's largest agricultural show and is one of the largest in the nation. The three-day outdoor event showcases technologies in agriculture and related industries and provides leadership development and education through businesses, industry and state agencies. The General Manager reports to the WFTD board of directors.
The GM will direct a process to develop strategies to meet the current and future needs of the show's clientele in the rapidly changing climate of agribusiness. The start date for the position is June 1, 2020, with phase-in over 18 months working with the outgoing GM, assuming full responsibility 1 January 2022. Salary will be commensurate with experience. This is a part time position (60% on an annual basis) and does not include a health insurance or retirement benefits package.
For more information on the position visit this web site: http://www.wifarmtechnologydays.com/
For additional questions about the position, please reach out to Matthew Glewen, current GM, at 920-242-6826.
Send letter of interest and resume listing at least three references to:
Anna Maenner, WFTD, 211 Canal Road, Waterloo, WI 53594.
Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2020. Interviews will be held in March 2020.
Financial, planning and operational management of WFTD
- Develop annual budget and maintain financial records using QuickBooks Pro
- Develop documents for annual financial reviews and audits.
- Assist County treasurers in developing a financial record keeping system utilizing the "standard accounting practices" developed by WFTD, Inc.
- Develop strategies, solutions and innovations tailored to host county needs to support the overall event strategy and achieve outcomes.
- Develop and manage project plan and timeline including end-to-end logistical management of all phases of event planning from recruitment of host for future shows, to fundraising and day-of event schedule.
- Support future site selection strategy and confirms venue ability to deliver on exhibitor trade show specifications.
- Development of organizational structure, and selection of event Executive Committee members and committee chairpersons.
- Providing ongoing training and education of Executive Committee members and committee chairs.
- Provide instructions and details for assembling financial records and supporting documents for audit.
- Oversee the maintenance and upkeep of equipment and signage during Farm Technology Days.
- Coordinate of meetings, lunch/dinner events and programs.
- Oversee the application process and selection of student scholarships sponsored by WFTD, Inc.
- Obtain and sustain sponsorships and oversee delivery of sponsor benefits.
- Maintain working relationship with the organization/individuals responsible for making all arrangements with commercial exhibitors.
- Develops contingency plans (for bad weather, etc).
- Participate in annual meetings and conferences and identify and communicate any areas of concern and addresses issues to ensure outcomes are met
- Contribute to overall team success by identifying problems and proactively seeking out methods to improve self-performance and/or efficiency of an operation or task
- Facilitates continuous communication and customer service between clients and exhibitors/sponsors, attendees and suppliers to meet the needs of WPTD as well as host county
- Responsible trade show analysis, determining data required to support event growth in alignment to overall event strategy.
Desired Skills and Background
Knowledge of conference and trade show management, experience preferred
Financial Management Skills
- Strong financial management skills including budgeting, forecasting and analysis; can explain, present and influence financial based viewpoints and counterpoints.
- Ability to meets deadlines on time and on budget
- Provide guidance and coaches others on revenue, expense and financial management practices including fund raising.
- Sales skills and ability to build productive business relationships
- Achieves favorable financial results through strong negotiation skills.
Project Management Skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Allocates and manages resources (e.g. people and financial) to meet priorities
- Knowledge of how team/unit contributes to overall goals.
- Accurately estimates own and others' resources required to complete tasks and activities; clarifies roles, monitors budget and others' workload/availability.
- Ability to assesses project status, identifies risks and issues, and takes the necessary steps for remediation
- Experience in assessment and decision making in a complex organizations.
- Strong communication skills to present and guide decision making of committees and ability to negotiate successfully on behalf of the client.
- Conveys information in a manner that engages others and helps them understand and retain the message; reinforces as needed.
- Work with clients to identify their needs and ensure customer satisfaction
- Communicates complex information clearly; breaks down and cascades as appropriate.
- Writes in a straightforward, logical and comprehensive, yet concise manner.
- Anticipates and addresses needs and concerns.
- Accountability for accuracy and thoroughness of own work and the work of others.
- Use own and others meeting time effectively.
- Assist and involve others proactively; shares all relevant information.
- Seek, include and respect different ideas and perspectives from others.
- Ability to work well with people with diverse backgrounds.
- Deal with conflict independently; act in a professional and constructive manner.
- Appropriately involve the right people at the right time.
- Look at the situation from both viewpoints; focuses on the problem, not the other person.
- Provide timely, specific and objective feedback on performance of team members
- Seek counsel from executive committee when necessary.
- Maintain confidentiality of others' performance information.